Academy Application Process
Academy Application Process
- Application and Essays:
The evaluations/letters of recommendation should each be in sealed envelopes with a signature across the flap.
- If you are in high school, request that your counselor or principal fill out the required evaluation form and attach a letter of recommendation. If you are in college, request that your college advisor or ROTC instructor fill out the college evaluation form. **
- If you are in high school, ask a teacher or coach to fill out the required evaluation form. If you are in college, you may request that a college professor or high school teacher fill out the college evaluation form.
- Ask a boss, member of the clergy, scout leader, or other personal reference to submit a letter of recommendation to Sen. Blunt’s Clayton office on your behalf. No more than 3 letters of recommendation from this category will be accepted. (Letters from family members are not permitted.)
** If you are homeschooled, please contact Senator Blunt’s Academy Coordinator to discuss the evaluation requirements.
Documents must be official. Emailed, faxed, and electronic documents will not be accepted.
- A sealed official transcript from all high schools, junior colleges, or colleges you have attended or are currently attending must be submitted. The high school transcript must include a minimum of 3 full years of study, current GPA, and class rank.
- Official scores submitted from SAT (0224) and/or ACT (7149). Scores will only be accepted directly from the testing agency or as part of your official high school transcript. Do not wait until the October test to submit your scores, they will be received too late.
- Complete, sign, and mail in your acknowledgment form to the coordinator.
Open and begin your online application by clicking HERE. You will find all of the required forms mentioned above available for download on the left-hand side of this page.
Senator Blunt’s deadline is 5:00 p.m. (CST) on October 30, 2015. It is your responsibility to have all required materials IN Sen. Blunt’s Clayton office before 5:00 p.m. (CST) on October 30, 2015. Documents sent by email, fax, and those received after October 30, 2015, will not be accepted.
General Information on Nomination Selection
Each member of Congress may have five cadets at each of the four service academies at any one time. The number of vacancies available each year is then determined by the number of cadets who either graduate or leave the academies each year. Senator Blunt’s nominees will be selected using the “Equal and Competitive” selection process, which involves the Senator submitting a maximum of ten names per vacancy to each academy.
Due to the large number of qualified applicants, you are encouraged to apply to multiple nomination sources. You should apply to both U.S. Senators for Missouri as well as your local member of Congress. You may also apply to the Office of the Vice President of the United States who can nominate applicants from the country at large.
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Age: Must be at least 17 years old, but not yet 23 years of age, as of July 1 of year admitted. (25th birthday for the Merchant Marine Academy)
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen and a legal resident of the State of Missouri.
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
Your application will be carefully reviewed and assessed based upon your academic record, ACT/SAT scores, extra-curricular activities, character, motivation, and leadership skills. Medical/Physical fitness, which is determined by the Academy, is also taken into consideration.
Academics – Class rank, GPA, school records, and recommendations by principals, teachers, and/or counselors. You must have a qualifying score on either the SAT/ACT. Recent average scores were SAT Verbal 600-760, MATH 620-700, ACT English 28, Math 29.
Leadership – Applicants should include extracurricular activities in school and in the community. Part-time jobs and volunteer activities will also be considered.
Character/Motivation – Letters of recommendation should detail the applicant’s character and motivation toward completing goals. Applicants should complete the file in a timely manner. Senator Blunt also requires thoughtful responses to the three essay questions.
Medical/Physical Fitness – The Academies schedule medical and physical fitness examinations. You will be notified by the Academy when and where these are scheduled.
7700 Bonhomme, #315
Clayton, MO 63105
Phone: (314) 725-4484
Fax: (314) 727-3548